On my 37th birthday, I came up with a list of things I want to be characterized by, for the 2nd half of my life; in part, what I want to be known for at my memorial service someday. I turn 50 next week and want to refresh my list on a personal retreat.
They are less tangible items–more attitudes and mindsets that, when committed to, become habits/actions that eventually turn into a new normal and a reputation I’d be delighted to have said about me. Maybe it’ll inspire you to make your own list and pursue it daily.
- Inner peace and calm–less striving and doing/more “being”–contentment/simplicity/margin
- Gratefulness and celebration (for life, for beauty, for people)—-recorded in my journal 365 days a year
- More regular introspection during carved-out time for regular solitude that leads to deep growth
- More give/less take in relationships–more others-centeredness/less self-centeredness
- Trying new things (a pilgrim)–an adventure mindset–evidenced through more spontaneity and more savoring life’s pleasures
- Taking better care of my body (exercise/massage/check-ups/trainer)
- Developing new relationships–mentors, advisers, colleagues, friends, mentees
- Living life consciously and intentionally–not just living out someone else’s script
- In constant communication with Jesus Christ and increasing my faith in Him as my Power Source
- Less passivity–more acting out of conviction and authenticity
What’s on your list? Comment on this post, or send me an email as the start of accountability to making it happen. firstname.lastname@example.org