- Establish the WHY for doing it. Envision the result of taking the action. It MUST be better than “staying here.”
- Keep that WHY in front of you and speak it aloud until you are in motion.
- Figure out the first, smallest step to take in the direction of your goal. Break overwhel
ming tasks into doable chunks of short time-spurts.
- Convince yourself of the negative consequences of NOT taking action. Do you really want to procrastinate and increase your stress or miss the potential opportunity?
- Get accountability to hit the go-button. Make sure there is someone to whom you must report back, to let them know you got started (or that you didn’t).
- Build momentum by getting everything prepared to begin: office supplies, clothing, folders, opened computer file–so that you lean into the project.
- Lock in the specific time that you will do it, and lock out the distractions that would de-rail you. You may have to isolate from people and technology notifications. Overestimate the time it will take so that you don’t feel the pressure.
- Plan your reward for when you finish today’s task.
Need help “getting off the dime” with some accountability from a coach who cares about your success? That’s me! Give me a holler and we’ll get an introductory coaching session or a weekly phone call set up. No more “standing still” on your goal. Let’s get moving. firstname.lastname@example.org